10 Foods to Naturally Protect Yourself From Fukushima Radiation
Products to Avoid:
1. Many experts are urging people to stop eating sea life from the Pacific. This would obviously include anything from Japan. Marine chemist Ken Buesseler found Pacific cesium levels 50 million times higher than pre disaster levels. (The levels tapered off but plateaued at 10,000 times higher than normal.) The algae get contaminated and it goes to the little fish, to the big fish and then to you.
2. Dairy and meat. The higher on the food chain, the higher the concentration of radioactive materials may be. Dairy products in particular may be the most contaminated item, because the living creature has eaten the contaminated grass, other foods and water (from contaminated rain that forms from the Pacific and atmospheric particles); the radiation from which is stored it in its body and passed on to whoever eats it. After the Chernobyl disaster there were numerous cases of children becoming severely ill from drinking cow’s milk.
Products to Choose:
1. Citrus pectin or apple pectin. In supplement form, these have been shown to bind to and remove radioactive materials such as Cesium-137 from the body. (Try citrus pectin here and apple pectin here.)
2. Spirulina and chlorella have both been shown to reduce significantly or even remove radioactive materials in people who were contaminated by the Chernobyl fallout. However, this blue-green algae superfood should probably not be sourced from Japan or nearby waters. (Try spirulina here and chlorella here.)
3. Seaweeds (and green and black teas for that matter) have been shown to neutralize radioactive isotopes in the body, and contain a high amount of protective natural iodine that would definitely protect the thyroid. Many people are claiming that dulse from Ireland is the safest. The jury is still out on California coastal seaweed, with some people even buying Geiger counters to test everything they consume. Geiger counters are rather blunt tools though, and do not tell you the type of isotope involved. I personally would not eat seaweed from the west coast of North America or Japan, but that’s an individual decision. (Try dulse here.)
4. Foods high in carotenes, (vitamin C and E), are natural protectors against radiation induced carcinogenesis. This includes carrots, sweet potatoes, beets, winter squash, kale, collard greens, chard and spinach. (Beta-carotene, however, may actually promote cancer.)
5. The entire cabbage family is high in caffeic acid, which may protect peripheral blood lymphocytes against gamma radiation induced cellular damage. This would include broccoli, cauliflower, arugula, bok choy, radishes, mustard greens and the like.
6. Herbs high in selenium may protect against DNA damage. These include: nettles, burdock root, catnip and ginseng.
7. Members of the legume family, especially: lentils, astragalus and red clover, may assist with DNA repair.
8. Miso soup has been shown to be very protective as it contains dipicolinic acid and may discharge radiation from the body. Rosemary, as well, helps rid the brain of free radicals.
9. Reishi mushrooms, known in traditional Chinese Medicine as Ling Zhi, have also been noted to increase the white blood cells and increase the overall immune protection of the body, even combating cancer. (Studies on reishi and cancer are varied.) The recommended method is slicing the dried mushroom and simmering for three hours, drinking the concentrated tea.
10. Cilantro removes heavy metals from the body (especially when combined with chlorella), and milk thistle is another herb that supports the liver in removing toxins. Bentonite clay has been touted as doing the same through binding and removing the foreign substances.
So despite radiation worries, there are some things you can load up on to lessen your toxic intake. In the meantime, coconut water is high in potassium, and can make you a lot more relaxed while waiting for the next shoe to drop. Peace.
Prevention is the best way to protect yourself against radiation, and avoiding eating seafood from the Pacific Ocean is a start.
Sea Life in the Pacific is Highly Irradiated
Along the Alaskan coast, seals, polar bears, and walruses are suffering from fur loss and open sores. Nine polar bears were spotted that had these problems among 33 bears near Barrow, Alaska.
On both the Canadian and Alaskan coastlines, there is a historic low of sockeye salmon, and many are seen to be bleeding from their gills, eyeballs, and bellies.
In California, it has been discovered that all bluefin tuna, out of a sample of 15, were contaminated with radiation from Fukushima.
Fish samples taken in Canada have found very high levels of radiation in sea bass; one sample contained 1000 becquerels per kilogram. People eating such fish are far more likely to develop cancer.
Types of Radiation Emitted from Fukushima
The radioactivity coming from Fukushima is primarily contained in the following isotopes:
Iodine-131 (radioactive halogen)
Cesium-137 (radioactive alkali metal – accumulates in muscles)
Strontium-90 (radioactive alkali metal – mimics calcium)
Tritium (a radioactive isotope of hydrogen)
Although iodine and cesium are found in our bodies, the radioactive forms are most dangerous. They continually emit microscopic “bullets” that damage surrounding tissue and lead to cancer.
Detoxify or Die: Natural Radiation Protection Therapies for Coping With the Fallout of the Fukushima Nuclear Meltdown
The radioactive elements Caesium-137 (Cs-137), Strontium-90 (Sr-90), Plutonium (Pu), and Americium (Am) released in Chernobyl concentrate in the roots of plants and it is now known that they will continue to be mobilized for decades, even up to several hundreds of years into the future. Agricultural products have contained - and will continue to contain - radioactivity in all of the Northern Hemisphere countries contaminated by Chernobyl.
The level of radionuclide incorporation in our bodies varies according to each organ. In Chernobyl the most affected organs (from autopsies) were the thyroid gland, the adrenal glands, the pancreas, the thymus, the skeletal muscle, the spleen, the heart and the liver (in decreasing order).
The thyroid gland is the most affected since radioactive iodine (Iodine-131) binds to it, making supplemental non-radioactive iodine a key therapy in the case of nuclear radiation. The natural iodine will bind to the thyroid, blocking the radioactive iodine from binding to it. The affliction of the adrenals is worthy of attention, since there were many "new" diseases that emerged after the Chernobyl disaster whose symptoms resemble those of adrenal fatigue.
The total Chernobyl death toll for the period from 1987 to 2004 has reached nearly 417,000 in other parts of Europe, Asia, and Africa, and nearly 170,000 in North America, accounting for nearly 824,000 deaths worldwide. This number of Chernobyl victims will continue to increase for several generations.
A Note on Radiation
Radiation poisoning damages organ tissues by excessive exposure to ionizing radiation. Ionizing radiation consists of particles or electromagnetic waves that are energetic enough to detach electrons from atoms or molecules, thus ionizing them. Direct ionization from the effects of single particles or single photons produces free radicals, which are atoms or molecules containing unpaired electrons, and which tend to be especially chemically reactive due to their electronic structure.
This means that they become chemically unstable and highly reactive ions as free radicals are formed. These unstable metabolic by-products strive to stabilize by 'stealing' a replacement electron from any neighboring molecule, leaving even more damaged molecules in their wake. This is how free radicals in our bodies are produced and cause inflammation, a process that is best known as oxidative stress, oxidative damage or lipid peroxidation. Oxidation can even cause debilitating changes to your DNA. This is why anti-oxidants are so important. Antioxidants help to counteract or neutralize the free radicals before they can damage our healthy cells by lending a hand (actually, an electron) when stabilization is needed. This is the reason why we are fond of so many antioxidants such as vitamin C, E, carotenoids, resveratrol, taurine, coenzyme Q10 and melatonin, to name but a few.
Nuclear or ionizing radiation that penetrates the body can affect your body in a number of different ways, and the adverse health effects of extreme radiation exposure may not be apparent for many years.
Among the specific health disorders associated with Chernobyl radiation there was increased morbidity and prevalence of the following groups of diseases:
Circulatory system (owing primarily to radioactive destruction of the endothelium, the internal lining of the blood vessels).
Endocrine system (especially nonmalignant thyroid problems).
Immune system ("Chernobyl AIDS," increased incidence and seriousness of all illnesses).
Urogenital tract and reproductive disorders.
Musculoskeletal system (including pathologic changes in the structure and composition of bones: osteopenia and osteoporosis).
Central nervous system (changes in frontal, temporal, and occipitoparietal lobes of the brain, leading to diminished intelligence and behavioral and mental disorders).
Eyes (cataracts, vitreous destruction, refraction anomalies, and conjunctive disorders).
Congenital malformations and anomalies (including previously rare multiple defects of limbs and head).
Thyroid cancer (All forecasts concerning this cancer have been erroneous; Chernobyl-related thyroid cancers have rapid onset and aggressive development, striking both children and adults. After surgery the person becomes dependent on replacement hormone medication for life.)
Leukemia (blood cancers) not only in children and liquidators, but in the general adult population of contaminated territories.
Other malignant neoplasms.
[Nesterenko, A. V., Nesterenko, V. B. and Yablokov, Chernobyl: Consequences of the Catastrophe for People and the Environment.]
Radiation - How to protect yourself from its effects safely and naturally:http://www.naturalnews.com/036492_radiation_protection_natural_remedies.html#ixzz2wWyR59jv
#Fukushima #Nuclear #Radiation #Protection #Health
10 Foods to Naturally Protect Yourself From Fukushima Radiation